In the past the Future Champions Cup and UK Cup ran with varying popularity and success for many years. From 2012 they stopped, and in 2013 junior and elite competition was incorporated into the UK Orienteering League. However whilst catering well for the general orienteering public the UKOL doesn’t meet the needs of elite orienteers. Following consultation between Events & Competitions Committee, elite athletes, and the British Orienteering Performance Programme, in 2015 we kicked off a new elite league with classes for juniors and seniors – the UK ELITE ORIENTEERING LEAGUE was born.
Goals for the league
- Tie in with the UKOL (and from 2016 onwards to be a subset of where possible)
- Identify the best overall orienteers in the UK
- Provide attractive competitions for elite runners (and would-be elites!)
- Purposeful timing with regards to the international calendar and athlete periodisation (March – June)
- International discipline specific (sprint, middle, long formats)
- Relevant terrain for upcoming international competitions where possible
- Fit in with British Orienteering Talent Pathway and Performance Programme
- Provide athletes with an opportunity to present themselves for selection to squads/teams by performing in high pressure situations
- Provide our elite runners with good opportunities for high-quality competition at the right time of year on good (but varied) maps and terrain.
- Have a dedicated website with results, statistics and fixtures.